March 9, 2017

A Million Little Things. Susan Mallery

book cover
Published:
Date: February 28th 2017
Format: e-ARC
Pages: 368
Genre: Women's Fiction
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Rating:
4.5 stars                      Add to Goodreads
Zoe Saldivar is more than just single-she's ALONE. She recently broke up with her longtime boyfriend, she works from home and her best friend Jen is so obsessed with her baby that she has practically abandoned their friendship. The day Zoe accidentally traps herself in her attic with her hungry-looking cat, she realizes that it's up to her to stop living in isolation

Her seemingly empty life takes a sudden turn for the complicated-her first new friend is Jen's widowed mom, Pam. The only guy to give her butterflies in a very long time is Jen's brother. And meanwhile, Pam is being very deliberately seduced by Zoe's own smooth-as-tequila father. Pam's flustered, Jen's annoyed and Zoe is beginning to think "alone" doesn't sound so bad, after all
    My thoughts banner
A Million Little Things - #3 in Susan Mallery's Mischief Bay series, is a book I looked forward to from the time I knew it was in the pipeline. I had enjoyed the first two and was so ready to dive into the next one. And... it delighted me as much as the first two.

We have three women - Zoe, Jen and Pam. Zoe and Jen are friends, Zoe works from home and I loved the opening scene where she deals with a misbehaving ladder to the attic. Jen has a little guy who is perfect in every way, but... he isn't talking and she is worried. Surely by now that milestone should have been celebrated. Added to that she is hyper alert over every little germ and obsessive over organic food. In other words a bit of an uptight mess.  So much so it is impacting on her marriage and her friendship with Zoe.

We met Pam in the first book, a lively woman who had the sudden loss of her husband to deal with. She is Jen's mother and up until now has been worried about Jen and her anxiety over little Jack. However there is some likeness between mother and daughter, as Pam too has been a little on the anxious side. It becomes full blown when her son who she set up to get to know Zoe, meets a hiccup in his life that she just can't get her head around: she is in danger of losing her son if she can't give up her need to keep him safe.  Pam has until now had a good friendship with Zoe and Zoe kind of sees her as a mother figure, someone to go to as her own mother has died.

There are some great men in the book as well. Kirk is Jen's husband and he has taken on new work with the LAPD and has a new partner - Lucas, and Jen doesn't really approve of him. She has judged him on certain appearances and found him lacking. That changes through the story and it was one of the interesting aspects of proceedings. Steven - Pam's son is a great guy and I really liked him, he was strong minded and made his own decisions for happiness.

All in all I found this a very satisfying and enjoyable read. I liked the characters, their issues and the explorations of them. It was a perfect, light read.  Keep them coming Susan Mallery.
page turner favourite author Part of a series Keeper Shelf

9 comments:

  1. I keep saying it, but I need to try her books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed this one as well. I think I prefer this series to the straight contemporary romance but they introduced me to Mallery so I'm glad I read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only read book one in the series. I've got to catch up. Thanks for the fab review Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do need to try this author! I've been eyeing this book. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I look forward to this book. I was late coming to this author and have loved catching up with her back list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really good. I've read some of her Fool's Gold series and liked it okay but kind of drifted away from it. This looks like it has even more depth to it and I think I'd really enjoy it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved this book too! Although, I couldn't get over Pam's reaction. It seemed really strange and out of left field to me. I guess I could understand it as a Mama Bear reaction, but I have to admit, I judged Pam kind of harshly over it for a while. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin totally agree with you. I thought her reaction was so unlike what I had come to expect from her.

      Delete
  8. Glad you enjoyed this. I haven't tried Mallery recently. I'm still on my sci fi bend.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...